Love & Loss at Sea

My pet fish of nearly four years recently passed on to the next life.  He was a hearty fellow, who survived many trials and tribulations in his life (most involving bumpy holiday trips to Ohio from SC).  He was purchased on February 14 at Wal-Mart...he was encased in a hot pink cardboard box with a heart-shaped cutout so you could look in to see the fish.  When I walked by, I couldn't bear the thought of him sitting there alone and so of course I brought him home.


In my studio I have a wonderfully dated book, The Guide to Breeding Aquarium Fish, that I purchased a long time ago for collage material....within the pages are some bizarrely tinted & grainy photos of fish getting romantic and I was instantly drawn to it.  Perhaps because Professor Soggybottoms has been on my mind lately, and also because I was also craving a change in subject matter, I pulled it off the shelf and started cutting away.  Last night I began my new angelfish series (did you know, in the case of angelfish, the males are nice to the females during courtship & form long term relationships?  Once they've mated, if one of them dies or is removed from the tank, apparently they refuse to pair up again...)




 Here's a glimpse of the 'brand-new, fresh from the studio table mixed media works' (printmaking, painting, thread, type & found images).  They'll be exhibited for the first time on Saturday at the Handmade Market in Raleigh, NC.  Check out the artist featurette on their blog for Loose Tooth Studio!

Comments

Popular Posts