Art Walk at Carnahan Elementary School


Yesterday I took part in the Art Walk at Carnahan Elementary-the event's purpose is to inspire children and help them see that art and inspiration is everywhere!  There were lots of different visual and performing artists who participated along with me.  There were singers, jewelry makers, writers, painters, sculptors, printmakers, photographers... even a magician!

The Art Walk was set up like an indoor art fair, each artist had their own table and space to make art with the students.  I set out a small display of colorful paintings, a relief print with a handful of wood type and books that I use for inspiration.

I talked to the kids about what I do in my studio, how I became an artist and the importance of being creative.  A few crafty students even told me they wanted to be artists when they grow up!   I wanted the children to see art and then get their hands dirty with some printmaking, so I brought along hand-carved stamps, a few ink pads and a stack of cardstock.  The stamps were carved from rubber erasers, which are soft and small; perfect for little hands to get a good impression on paper.  I also made some pattern stamps so they could adorn the borders.  Check out a few of their awesome prints below!

Comments

Popular Posts