Just Keep Swimming

With an entire day ahead of me in my studio this past Sunday, I started a painting inspired by our recent househounting venture.  We are just beginning our search and it is a daunting task to find that perfect place within the seventh largest city in America.  My concept is simple; the birds, perched outside a beautiful house, are looking for their place to belong.  The fish school above them in a dream, representing an ideal community.

My work for the past few years has been very illustrative, evolving from the first few drawings made during my Italian residency.   I enjoy the process of narrating these scenes of adventure, homecoming and love in saturated color and playful patterns.  Lately, I have been working a lot with acrylic paint; my job as a painting instructor inspires me to keep the spark alive in my own studio.

I documented my entire day, from first cup of coffee to last glass of wine, for my friend Ann.  She is an amazing artist living in Illinois, owner and blogger of A Beautiful Party.  She is starting a new feauture called "A Day in the Studio Life,' where she asks other artists to document a typical day in the studio-what our space is like, what we make, what we eat, what we get distracted by...

Below are a few highlights of the project I began for the feature, an acrylic painting on 12" x 12" x 2" cradleboard.  My husband paid me the biggest complement when he came in to check out what I was working on..."your painting looks like Lisa Frank's binder."  Yes.

 
                       



Check out the first "A Day in the Studio Life" on Ann's blog, featuring Oklahoma artist Katy Seals!

Comments

Popular Posts