Artist Residency in Guardia Sanframondi, Italy

It's been one week back on American soil and I am finally adjusted to a regular schedule again. Getting home took two trips by car, one train, one bus, a mile-long walk with all my luggage from the bus stop to the airport followed by three planes...eventually I made it, safe and sound.

My month in Italy as an artist-in-residence at Terra Vivente Studios was inspiring & productive.  I chose this particular residency for the rural setting and garden access, which was a major part of my subject matter.  Guardia Sanframondi is a wonderful, small town in Southern Italy-having never spent an extended period of time in this part of the country, I was intrigued.  The town is experiencing an artistic rebirth, thanks in part to artist Clare Galloway.  Her positive, creative energy is perfectly captured by her motto, #livelikeahappyartist.  In the future, I'd love to return with Steven for a stay at her arthouse.  While on travel I met some truly incredible people from across the globe, from Scotland to England, Australia, Italy (of course) and even a few women from Texas! 

The residency fee paid for studio access and a place to live in the centro storico (historical center) of the town.  The apartment I stayed in was completely renovated, parts of it dating back 5oo years or so.  I shared a studio with French-Canadian artist Ingrid Tremblay, American artist Margaret Craig and Australian poet & filmmaker Crystal Davis.  We worked and traveled well together, sharing experiences and ideas. The studio was a light-filled space with tall glass doors that opened to a small balcony and a view of the valley below.
I had the chance to travel a bit on the weekends, and crammed in as much art history as possible in the few days spent in Venice, Rome, Pompeii and Amalfi.  Over the course of the month, I saw important works of Renaissance art and architecture, went to the Biennale in Venice, spent one of the hottest days of one of the hottest summers getting lost in Pompeii, slept overnight on a boat in Salerno, toured the 15th century Amatruda Paper Mill, drew until my fingers went numb, had my first Italian art exhibition and ate pizza like it was my job.
The internet in my medieval apartment was not working for most of the month, so I have a lot of blogging to catch up on.  I use this platform as a way to document my art, from ideas in my sketchbook to the finished image, along with important events and the things that inspire me.  My hope is that it inspires you, too!
 I'll be writing individual posts about the process for each of my drawings made abroad in July.  
They are colored pencil and graphite on 18 x 24" paper.

Comments

Popular Posts